Before you click away now and think: “Eeyyyy beetroot in a brownie!” I will tell you a story. Some weeks ago me and my friends we met for a breakfast where everybody brought something. One of my friends brought a chocolate cake and it tasted utterly delicious. After I ate the whole piece of cake, I asked her if she can give me the recipe and whats inside and she replied that a big part of this cake is actually beetroot. Firstly, I did not know what I should think about this! I mean beetroot in cake? I heard of people putting avocado in their cakes, but avocados do not have taste itself! Beetroots have! But I liked the cake to much to worry about that! So she sent me the recipe and said, that you even can make it vegan if you want, since there is no egg in there and you can replace butter with a plant option, same with the milk. So if you eat vegan, then you might want to try this out. What I especially liked about the cake/brownie was that it was so moist but did not had the consistency, that sticks to everything! So delicious!
I even kept them in the fridge and of course they get a little bit hard, but that is just the butter inside it, they stay moist!
You will need for 12 brownies:
- 150 g flour
- 125g beetroot, cooked
- 150g sugar
- 125g butter or a plant option
- 125 ml milk
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 75g cream
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 100 g chocolate, cut into pieces
- 50g grounded almonds
- Preheat your oven to 190C. Line a 20cm x 20 cm Brownie tin with some parchment paper or grease it with butter.
- In a small pot place the milk and the butter and let it melt. It should not be too hot! In a separate bowl, put the beetroot and the cream and turn it into a puree with a mixer.
- When the butter is melted, add the sugar and the cocoa powder, and mix until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add the flour and the baking powder to the beetroot mixture, then add the grounded almonds and lastly the cocoa milk. Stir until you have a smooth dough. Then add the chopped chocolate. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35min.
Enjoy with some icing sugar or berries. If you want it even more chocolaty then make a chocolate topping, by melting some white or dark chocolate and drizzle it on top.
One thought on “RECIPE: Beetroot Brownies”
LikeLiked by 1 person