Let´s be honest, there is no better time to eat a warm breakfast than Winter, or? There is nothing better than a warm, filling, healthy breakfast in the morning, which makes you ready and excited for the day. Recently, I started to try to include a lot more of these warm breakfast into my diet, because I noticed that my body does not answer with an acid reflux, which is a huge improvement for me, compared to last year. If you want to know more about ma health story, check out my Goodbye 2017!Hello 2018! blog post. I explained there what is going on in my body. Back to business, this Winter Breakfast as I call it, is my go-to favourite breakfast at the moment, but I change the flavours from time to time. And if there are days I cannot stand oats, then I use millet or even rice pudding as a base. Because let´s be honest, nobody wants to eat the same breakfast in a row for 2 months straight! At least I don´t!
But luckily there are hundreds and hundreds of porridge ideas out there and everybody can choose something that suits his/her taste the best. I love fresh berries, raisins, apples or cinnamon in my porridge. My mum used to make us a porridge with raisins and apples when I was younger all the time. I guess that is where my obsession comes from. Additionally I am a big fan of a good old traditional porridge, which means that your porridge has nearly no complete oats left, but has a rather thickened consistency. Mmhh, just writing about it, makes me crave it, so let´s get into the kitchen!
You will need for two portions:
- 100g oats
- 250 ml water, milk or a mixture of both
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 150g fresh or frozen berries
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A hand full of raisins
- An apple if you want
- Some Chia seeds to sprinkle on top
- In a saucepan put together the water/milk, oats and honey and bring it to a boil. When it starts boiling, reduce the heat and let it simmer until it reached your favourite consistency. I would leave min for 25-30 minutes, but don´t forget to stir on a regular basis, so you don´t get any lumps.
- While the porridge is cooking, peel and cut your apple into small pieces. Add them when the porridge is finished together with the berries, raisins and the cinnamon and let them soak in the porridge for about 5-10 minutes.
- Put the porridge into two bowls and sprinkle your chia seeds on top.
There you go, a nice warm filing breakfast. I go and enjoy mine, whilst watching some ski racing! I hope you have lovely day! Love, Sophie
PS: Can you tell I love my new TineKHome bowl?
2 thoughts on “RECIPE: The Best Winter Breakfast”
I love this breakfast! Eating a similar Version every morning 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Mmh its so yummy! I also tried cooking the porridge with some coconut milk and adding mango on top! Tastes insane too!😊